This Week's Events
- No School 9/3
- Key Club invites YOU to come to their 1st meeting on 9/4! Key Club is a great way to get involved in a positive extracurricular activity, make new connections and give back to your school and community.
- Last day to drop an ILCC F2F Course is 9/4
- I will be out of the building for the morning of 9/4
- I will be meeting with a number students in grades 10-12 this week for check-in purposes, so have blocked out my schedule on mrsnnelson.youcanbook.me. If you need to schedule a time to meet with me, please email me your request instead.
- Good luck to September ACT test takers on 9/8!
- I will once again be using mrsnnelson.youcanbook.me for scheduling appointments/meetings with me this year! It has been a great success and I appreciate your utilization of this easy and convenient scheduler!
- An elementary special education classroom is looking for volunteers to visit, play and connect with their students on a once a week basis. Volunteers are needed during period 3rd, 4th, Lunch, and 5th periods. Please let me know if you are interested in this opportunity!
- The Okoboji Foundation Youth in Philanthropy Initiative is an annual program for high school students intended to empower students to make a lasting positive impact in the Lakes Community by teaching the next generation the importance of community giving. Students meet once a month and receive community service hours as they learn about the work of the Okoboji Foundation and other nonprofits in the Lakes Community. Applications are due by September 10th and can be found here.
- Camp I Believe is a FREE Day camp for children and teens, ages 7-17, grieving the death of a loved one. It will be held on Saturday, September 15th at Lakeshore Center at Okoboji. To receive a camper registration packet or to learn more, please contact Robin Lock at (712) 336-2941.
- Interested in Architecture, Construction or Engineering as a potential future endeavor? The ACE Mentoring Program is a new opportunity for students in grades 10-12 that will offer hands-on career exploration by professional in the field and will run afternoon/evening hours October-April. Please let me know if you are interested in learning more and/or wanting to participate in this exceptional program!
- Consignment Corner is hiring for after school times and 2-3 Saturdays a month. Please contact Connie or Dan for more information, (712) 759-1297
- The Golden Circle College Fair is Iowa's largest college fair and will be held on Sunday, September 23rd from 12:30pm-3pm in Des Moines. This is a tremendous opportunity for students to gather knowledge and resources to assist in making informed decisions about their future. Transportation will not be offered, but I encourage you to consider attending!
- The Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT) is a standardized test that will be administered on October 10th for interested sophomores and juniors. For students in the junior class, scores from the PSAT/NMSQT are used to determine eligibility and qualification for the National Merit Scholarship Program. The cost of the exam is $16. Please inform me of your interest in taking this assessment by September 12th.
- The ASVAB assessment measures developed abilities and helps predict future academic and occupational success in the military. The results of the assessment are handy and helpful to all, not only those with prospective interest in the military. The ASVAB is appropriate for juniors and seniors looking at military options and/or for enhancement one's career exploration and development. The ASVAB will be given on October 4th. Please inform me of your interest in taking this assessment ASAP.
- The next ACT opportunity will be October 27th, registration deadline is September 28th.
- Iowa Senate's Page Program is open to juniors and seniors, application deadline is October 5th.
- A great opportunity to prep for the October ACT is being offered by Mrs.Olsen and Ms.Zenor, further details here!
- Accura Healthcare is hiring CNA's at both their Spirit Lake and Milford locations! Spirit Lake must have CNA licensure, but Milford does not! Apply atwww.acura.healthcare/employment or call Melissa at (712) 336-3300.
- Accura Healthcare is hiring for their Culinary & Dietary Department! Apply at www.acura.healthcare/employment or call Melissa at (712) 336-3300.
- Experiencing financial struggles? Consider requesting supports via the SLHS Backpack Program. Foods, toiletry items and/or gift cards available.
- TRIO Talent Search is accepting applications! TRIO offers in-school advising sessions for academics and college/career preparation and exceptional optional experiences outside of the school day for qualified students. Applications available outside of my office.